The most frequently asked question is “when should I change the car seat for my child in the next stage?” this is a very important question! Because different standards focus on weight, height and age, it is really troublesome. Choosing the right car seat for children is the most important first step in the safety journey.
Viichair has launched three types of car safety seats: basket type safety seat, children’s car safety seat and high backrest raised safety seat. We call them group 1, group 2 and group 3 respectively.
Group 1 – basket seat
The basket seat is the first car seat used by your child. It is suitable for newborns to children aged 12-15 months (there is room for adjustment in the next few months according to the child’s height and age). The most practical advice we can give on the appropriate time to replace the safety seat is: if the child’s head begins to touch the highest point of the car safety seat, and the baby can stabilize his head by himself, it means it’s time to replace the car safety seat in the next stage!
The basket type safety seat is always installed backward in the car, and can be installed by using the on-board safety belt or base. Under the condition of correct installation, the above two installation methods can provide the baby with the same degree of safety protection.
Factors to consider when purchasing basket seat:
When you buy a basket seat for your newborn baby, Viichair recommends that you consider the following aspects:
– buy a basket seat with a 5-point seat belt to ensure the best safety protection for your baby
– choose a lightweight basket seat to help you carry it comfortably and easily
– the i-size certified basket seat has passed the side impact test
Group 2 – infant car seat
The infant car safety seat is the second car safety seat used by your child. It is suitable for children aged 6 months to 4 years (there is a certain adjustment space for the age according to the child’s height and weight). If the child’s ears are at the same level as the highest point of the headrest when the child is adjusted to the highest gear, it means that this seat is no longer suitable for your child. It’s time to replace the safety seat of group 3!
According to the EU child safety seat standard UN R129 (i-size), children must use reverse car safety seats until they reach the age of 15 months, but viichair recommends that children use reverse car safety seats as long as possible before they reach the age of 4. Some seats in this category support both backward and forward mounting.
Group 3 – high back raised safety seat
The high back booster seat is your child’s longest used seat. According to the law, your child must use a certified car seat before growing to at least 135cm or reaching the age of 12, whichever comes first. Compared with ordinary children’s booster seat, the high back booster seat can ensure that your child is fully protected from side impact during use.
The high backrest booster safety seat can only be installed by using the on-board safety belt or ISOFIX interface alone.
Factors to be considered when purchasing high back height safety seat:
– choose a child booster seat with a non detachable high backrest to help ensure that your child is fully protected from side impact during use
– improper use is most likely to occur when the safety belt is hung at the safety belt guide angle. Therefore, it is recommended to choose an elevated safety seat without safety belt guide angle
– the fixed sitting position of the child booster seat may be too vertical, so it is recommended to choose a seat that can be adjusted during the journey